Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Malt Mission 2009 #327

Glenmorangie 18yo Tasting Notes
Glenmorangie 18yo
'Extremely Rare'
Highland Single Malt Whisky
43% abv

£73

$150 (USD)


It can be easily agreed that a new direction has been undertaken at Glenmorangie since the distillery left family hands (the Macdonalds) in 2004 and was sold to Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessey (66%) and Diageo (34%). However, one cannot discredit the production team under the visionary guidance of Dr. Bill Lumsden (since 1995) that continues to produce one of the world's favourite whiskies while unveiling new unique creations like Glenmorangie Astar and Glenmorang
ie Signet, both to be tasted on future posts.

And while the packaging has changed (to the annoyance of some stodgy old malt nerds who spend their days trawling whisky fora), it seems that all traditions of production remain in tact at the distillery while Dr. Bill stretches those boundaries for the advancement of the water of life in the 21st century. He was awarded Industry Leader of the Year at the Malt Advocate Awards 2008. The presentation of Signet is easily the best new packaging in 2008. For more Glenmorangie distillery info and to see all expressions had on the Malt Mission, click HERE.


Whatever your opinion might be about the new(-ish) design of the Glenmorangie line of whiskies, you have to agree that this new 18yo (above right) looks WAY better than the old 18yo (below right). But how does it taste?

TASTING NOTES:

Grapes, honey, and really quite nutty. Fresh, almost like fresh mint but weighted with creamy, vanilla-ed oak.

Grapefruit, butterscotch, vanilla and lime. Is that smoke? Something earthy. Then a brief surge of white chocolate, walnuts, and oak. Citrus comes back, with a bold, nearly bitter oak influence. A classy production. Fantastic nose with a drop of water, but the palate thins incredibly.

SUMMARY:

A sexy nose and a seductive ride on the palate. Delicate and estery but somehow distinctly highland. Pour deep and sip slowly.

Malt Mission #326
Malt Mission #328
Malt Mission #329
Malt Mission #330

Malt Mission HOME

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I look forward to trying some of Glenmorangie whiskys. Any tip for relatively new scotch drinkers on recognizing subtle flavor notes in these fine spirits. I really wonder sometimes what subtle flavors most people would pick up if they didn't read the label/reviews. While the basic fruity, sweet and peaty flavor seem fairly obvious I sometimes feel like I missing something aftering enjoying a whisky when I read reviews of the spirits I enjoyed.
In fact I recently rec. a bottle of 15 year Oak Glenlivit as a gift which is the oldest whisky I've tasted thus far and while I though it was excellent, it was almost too smooth and subtle, as compared to the other whiskys I've enjoyed like Bruichladdich The Rocks for example. I do add a bit of water and use the correct glassware. Or perhaps it just comes with experience?.... Cheers!

Joshua (Yossi) said...

Tried this for the first time last night (found a new bottle on eBay for $75!). Wow-wow, this is good stuff! While I love the different finishes Glenmo does (Sauternes being my fave) this one simply blew my mind. I was nervous at first when I heard that the liquid spends 3yrs in sherry casks; I am not a big fan of the highly sherried drams. Thankfully, Glenmo balanced this perfectly. And, thanks to your description of the 18yo Glenmo I found a new favorite.